Best Monofilament Line | Specifications | How to choose a quality fishing line
When it comes to fishing, the right equipment can make all the difference. One essential piece of equipment is the fishing line, which is responsible for connecting the angler to the fish.
Monofilament line, also known as monofil, is a popular choice for a variety of fishing applications because it is strong, flexible, and easy to handle. In this article, we will discuss the best monofilament line, the key specifications to consider when selecting a monofilament line, and how to choose a quality fishing line.
With the right monofilament line, you can improve your chances of success on the water and enjoy a more enjoyable fishing experience.
Monofilament Line Specifications
[caption id="attachment_1749" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Monofilament Line Specifications[/caption]
Making a core is a step-by-step process. The basis of the raw material for the product consists of very small balls of nylon. Being exposed to high temperatures, the raw material is passed through holes of the desired diameter. The resulting cores are carefully moved along special roller devices, pulled out, and undergo a cooling procedure.
An important stage in the completion of manufacturing is the stage of impregnation of the fishing line with a waterproof substance, which gives it strength and increases its service life.
For an ordinary fishing enthusiast, a monofilament fishing line remains interesting and in demand.
The main characteristics of the core are:
- Good extensibility is necessary for the extraction of large specimens, but the service life is lost. Not always a thread has a
- Large diameter may have a high load indicator;
- The breaking load coefficient indicates the ability of the line to hold the resistance of the prey, in this case, a thin line with a high strength index always wins;
- Different calibration - an indicator of the casting distance. One thing is clear - the thinner the thread, the farther it is thrown, but it can be blown away by the wind. The quality of the calibration depends on the manufacturer. A calibrated core always has a uniform diameter. The rounder the diameter, the higher the class and quality of the fishing line;
- Resistance to temperature extremes, it is this indicator to the point to monofilament, it is universal. Its use is effective during
- In winter fishing, water does not freeze on it;
- The ideal transparency of the vein increases the chances of getting the desired prey.
Modern brand manufacturers use not only high-tech equipment in the manufacture of monofilament but also the best coatings with a high level of polymerization.
One thing is clear, the more expensive the manufacturing technology, the higher the cost of the product.
Among the negative reviews of fishermen about the vein is that:
- Monofilament is not suitable for all types of fish, some specimens are better caught on colored cords;
- Absorbing water, it swells and loses its strength, which means that the duration of action is reduced;
- The fishing line is not able to recover to its previous state after stretching - a bad option for fishing.
For a good and long-term service monofilament requires proper storage. The impact of external factors gradually leads to its unsuitability. The fridge is a great storage place. There is no influence of ultraviolet radiation and high temperature indicators.
The fishing line is used in many ways of fishing and is considered one of the important elements of equipment. Neither summer nor winter fishing can do without it. They are equipped with a monofilament when fishing on the bottom, float fishing rods and ultralight class spinning.
Types of Monofilament Line
The latest technologies for manufacturing the core use chemical raw materials, which give it exactly those qualities that the cords do not have. With this rate of improvement in quality, monofilament fishing line is becoming more popular and in demand by fishing enthusiasts.
The most common materials for the manufacture of fishing line are derivatives of polyamides:
- High-polymer types High-copolymer - characterized by the most modern chemical compounds, have a complex manufacturing process, due to which the quality of the thread is the highest, and the service life is the longest. The high polymer appearance makes the line resistant to UV rays, increases the smoothness of the product, and resistance to destructive external factors.
- Copolymer yarns are made by combining several types of polymeric materials. This combination gives the material new features - strength, durability, rigidity, and minimal elongation.
- Monofilament types are made using an extrusion process when a soft, elastic and stretchable core is obtained from a viscous mass. Transparency, density and resistance to temperature changes make this species popular with fishermen. Unfortunately, they have a short service life, gradually wear out and become unusable.
- Fluorocarbon fishing threads are made from chemical polymers that are highly resistant to negative physical and chemical factors - temperature extremes, ultraviolet radiation, mechanical stress, and wetting. What is fluorocarbon - a material from which modern veins are made with a lot of advantages, but at a high cost?
The choice of fishing thread is not as simple as it seems, and each angler will determine which one is the best for him. This process requires clarity, where to catch, in what way and what kind of prey, for what class of spinning, and what type of bait. It is important to take into account temperature indicators, current, bottom topography and the presence of vegetation.
Much of fishing depends on the quality of the line and its ability to be strong, buoyant, invisible, and resistant to damage. Whether it's fluorocarbon, nylon, or copolymers, the choice is always up to the angler.
How to choose a quality fishing line
The monofilament range has flooded the fishing tackle market. The tandem of price and quality does not always justify the hopes of the fisherman.
Of course, the dream of professionals is a universal thread suitable for all types of fishing, sensitive, thin, elastic and durable. And most importantly, it should be suitable for both delicate fishing and trophy hunting.
When purchasing an element of gear, it is worth paying attention to both the advantages and disadvantages at the same time. It is hardly possible to find without negative reviews. Manufacturing technologies are improving, quality is improving, and monofilament fishing line is increasingly used by fishermen in various types of fishing.
When choosing such an important piece of equipment, adhere to the following recommendations:
- the appearance of a fresh vein is always brilliant. The lying core has a matte tint, as microcracks formed on it under the influence of ultraviolet radiation;
- The calibration of the fishing line should go along its entire length. You can check this with the help of a clamped sinker,
- Moving it along the thread, thickened places will stop the movement;
- A dynamometer will help to check the strength of the fishing line;
- The highest quality fishing line is produced by Japanese factories from domestic raw materials;
- Rigid types have a memory effect and are not prone to deformation. They are used for long rods, they absorb jerks well, but their margin of safety is lower than that of soft types. More often, the material for their manufacture is fluorocarbon;
- Unwinding the spool of thread, pass it through your fingers, if the thread is leveled, then there is no memory. Such a fishing line will lie flat on the bottom, does not form spirals;
- The color of the vein plays an important role, since disguise as a muddy bottom or aquatic vegetation will not scare the prey. Transparent species are well suited for catching cautious fish.
When choosing, it is important to remember that the core should easily endure the specified loads, be well camouflaged in water, neither tangle nor deform. And most importantly, having the same diameter, it will be resistant to rubbing, mechanical stress.
When choosing a fishing line, it should be remembered that each raw material has strengths and weaknesses. Even great chemistry has not yet created an ideal material for its manufacture. Therefore, you need to proceed with the conditions and methods of fishing.
Monofilament Line: Line rating
The line. It is typically expressed in pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg) and refers to the maximum weight that the line can hold before breaking. A higher line rating indicates a stronger, thicker line that is able to withstand more weight and pressure. A lower line rating indicates a thinner, weaker line that is more prone to breaking under heavy loads.
It will help you choose the best option for the core, the rating of manufacturers producing materials of high quality and ideal technical characteristics:
- The top 10 ratings is opened by Varivas Super Trout threads. The threads of the new generation of VLS nylon, perfectly hold knots, are well suited for float fishing.
- Shimano BlueWing is a leader in manufacturing and sales. One of the best budget options.
- Benkei is a modern version of the latest generation, with high strength, resistance and cost.
- Soft is a combination of three types of polymers. Ideal for spinning and bologna rods.
- Balsax Iguana is the most common variant with a bearded background. The cost is high, but it's worth it.
- Tarantula is a monofilament with a large test load. Suitable for large trophies.
- ShimanoTechnium Spinning Line is invisible in the water, and has a good base and high sensitivity.
- Shimano Antares Fluorocarbon is the most durable, with no stretch or memory effect.
- Hi-Max Fluorocarbon - Fluorocarbon material gives the line stiffness, and the green color helps to hide in vegetation.
- Kameleon is a type of vein that changes color depending on the conditions of the reservoir. High level of wear resistance.
The success of fishing depends on the choice of fishing line. Casts, leashes, baits, hooking are impossible without this element of tackle. Synthetic material has achieved great ups and downs. Analyzing the rating of products, we can say with accuracy that the victory belongs to Japanese manufacturers.
Monofilament Line: Operation and storage
Over time, the threads age and lose strength. The reason for this condition is considered to be exposed to sunlight or storage near the radiators of the heating system.
They should be stored in a dry and dark place, preferably in a refrigerator, where a stable temperature and humidity will do their job, and also:
Proper storage of the monofilament line can help to extend the life of the line and maintain its strength and flexibility. Here are a few tips for storing monofilament line:
- Keep the line in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing the line in direct sunlight or in areas with high humidity, as these conditions can cause the line to deteriorate and become brittle.
- Avoid exposing the line to sharp objects or abrasive surfaces, as these can damage the line and weaken its strength.
- Store the line on a spool or in a line box to prevent it from becoming tangled or knotted.
- Check the line regularly for signs of wear or damage, such as fraying or cracks, and replace the line if necessary.
In conclusion, the monofilament line is a popular choice for a variety of fishing applications because it is strong, flexible, and easy to handle.
When selecting a monofilament line, it's important to consider the line rating, diameter, and material of the line to ensure that it is appropriate for the type of fishing you are doing and the size and strength of the fish you are targeting.
To choose a quality fishing line, look for a line that is well-reviewed by other anglers and that meets the specific needs and requirements of your fishing style. With the right monofilament line, you can improve your chances of success on the water and enjoy a more enjoyable fishing experience.