Welcome to “Features of Spinning Fishing Rod Rings: Replacing and Repairing”!
If you’re an angler, you know that the rings on your spinning fishing rod play a crucial role in the performance and longevity of your rod.
These rings are responsible for supporting the weight of your line and lures and can make a big difference in how smoothly your rod casts and retrieves. But what features should you look for in spinning fishing rod rings, and how do you go about replacing or repairing them when necessary?
In this article, we’ll explore the features of spinning fishing rod rings and provide some tips for replacing and repairing them.
So let’s get started!
Features of fishing rod rings
Good rings for spinning should be resistant to adverse environmental conditions (high humidity, dirt, mechanical factors), and combine high strength and lightness.
These elements, regardless of their type and size, consist of 2 parts:
- Round frame
Most manufacturers create rings from resistant materials that resist corrosion well and have a low specific gravity.
If we talk about the characteristics of the ring frame, then they include the following parameters:
- Several legs.
Inserts, which are equipped with all rings on the spinning rod, are made of cermet or ceramic.
The main feature of spinning rods is the presence at the top of the smallest ring in size, called the “tulip”. It consists of a piece with a sharp end, which is connected to the frame by welding, and then fixed to the top of the fishing tackle.
Access rings intended for spinning must meet the following requirements:
- Well-polished, smooth surface without chips and cracks;
- Solid base with a good margin of safety;
- Lack of roughness and irregularities on the surface.
If you are choosing rings for your spinning for the first time, pay attention to their diameter, weight, and size.
The success of fishing depends on the number of rings on the rod. These elements affect the uniform distribution of the load along the entire length of the gear. For example, with a smaller number of them, the casting range of the fishing line with the bait increases, but the risk of breakage of the blank (“stick” on which the reel, fishing line, and other fishing equipment are attached) increases.
Replacing the ring on a spinning rod
Ring breakage on a spinning rod is a common problem that experienced and novice fishermen have had to deal with. In such a situation, the question becomes relevant, how to replace the ring on the spinning rod, and is it always necessary to resort to this procedure?
Replacement of the element is necessary in the following cases:
- If the tip of the spinning rod is broken;
- If, after prolonged use, cuts from fishing line appeared on the frames;
- The frame is deformed;
- The leg connecting the ring and the insert broke.
If a defect (chip, crack) appears on the access element, you can replace it yourself by preparing the necessary tools. Follow the simple instructions to change the ring on your fishing rod on your own.
What tools and materials are for Replacing the ring?
To replace the ring on your rod with your own hands, prepare a set of tools and materials from the following list.
- New pass element. You can find a new rod ring at any fishing supply store. Such products are presented in them in a large assortment. We recommend giving preference to products with ceramic inserts.
- Synthetic fishing line and thread of the same material
- A cardboard box that is large and will serve as a spinning stand. In the side parts of the box, located parallel to each other, it is necessary to make triangular grooves for fishing tackle.
- Lacquer for parquet with a base of polyurethane, which covers the winding part of the structure.
- Wire of small thickness.
- A lighter or a candle with a burning wick.
- Epoxy adhesive.
- Sharp knife.
- Silicone tube.
- Masking tape or masking tape.
- Epoxy mixing bowl.
- A brush with which the adhesive composition is evenly distributed over the surface of the access ring.
To make the coils of the sealing synthetic thread (or monofilament fishing line) tighter, use a small and strong twig. Instead, you can take an ice cream stick or a counting set.
Correct placement of rings
The fastening of throughput rings on the rod has its characteristics. According to the rules, these elements are placed along the line of the inner seam on the whip.
You can install them on the rod in the following ways:
- Traditional. You need to take a few ring elements and use them to create a cone-shaped tunnel for the fishing line. The largest ring is located at the base, near the coil, and the element with the smallest diameter is at the top of the structure.
- New. The part at the base is shifted closer to the center of the structure, reducing the length of the cone. Further, the main part of the fishing line is passed through small rings.
Rings can be placed on the rod in 3 positions:
- Above or below the whip. Such a spinning assembly is ideal, it has the greatest rigidity.
- Side, 90°C (left or right). This placement indicates the installation of clearance elements along the soft line of the whip. This may indicate poor build quality or that the tackle is designed for slow formation.
- The chaotic arrangement of the ring elements on the rod is considered incorrect. With such an arrangement, the fisherman will not be able to cast the tackle over a long distance without errors.
Twisting forces at the time of playing with the fish will deform the rod, and after 1-1.5 months of active fishing, the tackle will break.
If you have the desire and free time, you can make a spinning ring with your own hands.
To do this, prepare:
- Solid insert;
- Electric drill;
It is necessary to attach the insert with a paste at the base of the frame. Using an electric drill, you should polish the surface so that the fixation is as stable as possible. At the end of the work, we fix the ring on the whip.
Pay attention to the diameter of the passage element located near the coil. If it is small, you will not be able to throw a tackle far.
Fishing rod rings Mounting Features
The following instructions will help you properly attach the ring elements to the rod stick.
- Before removing the element, it is necessary to soften the winding that covers it. Its heating is carried out with a hot hair dryer.
- The coating should be cut in the area of the annular foot (so as not to damage the spinning) and remove part of it.
- Next, you should find the edge of the thread that comes from the end of the winding. It should be gradually unwound while removing the rest of the coating.
- The remaining coating should be removed from the surface of the rod by scraping. For this purpose, a hair dryer is again used. Scraping can be done with a regular plastic stick from the counting set.
- The new ring must be prepared for installation. The edges of the paws are slightly ground with an emery wheel, and their lower part is adjusted for installation on the fishing rod blank using sandpaper.
- Rings must first be fixed in the designated places. To tie them, you can use soft silicone products, adhesive tape, electrical tape, or an elastic band.
- Next, the winding of the element is performed, in the direction from the foot to the frame. The thread should be kept as taut as possible.
- From above, the winding thread is covered with parquet varnish or Flex Coat.
If the composition used to coat the winding is thick, it is applied in one layer. If it is liquid, then a two-layer coating should be made. The second layer is applied after the first one is completely dry.
In conclusion, we’ve explored the features of spinning fishing rod rings and provided some tips for replacing and repairing them.
From the size and material of the rings to the way they are mounted on the rod, there are many factors to consider when choosing the right rings for your rod.
By choosing high-quality rings and taking care of them, you can help ensure that your rod performs at its best and lasts for many years.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a commission for purchases made through links.