A multiplier reel for fishing, also known as a baitcasting reel, is a type of fishing reel that is commonly used for big game fishing and saltwater fishing. It is a popular choice among experienced anglers for its accuracy, power, and ease of use.
In this article, we will take a closer look at how a multiplier reel works and how it can improve your fishing experience.
Purpose of Multiplier Reel For Fishing
The principle of operation of the multiplier is quite simple. Inside the metal or plastic case, there is a spool. Through the tension of the fishing line or cord, force is transmitted to it. The gear transmission transmits torque through the rotation of the side handle to the spool. With the help of worm gear, the movement of the line stacker is carried out.
When choosing a coil, pay special attention to the material of manufacture of the drive mechanisms. Metal parts are much more durable than plastic ones. With proper care, they will last several times longer.
To avoid tangling the fishing line, the multiplier system is equipped with braking systems. As a rule, it includes several braking elements.
This is a mechanical (axial friction) and magnetic (centrifugal) brake:
- The mechanical brake is designed to break the fishing line when the bait touches the water. At this point, the flight speed decreases, and the inertial rotation of the spool remains quite high. Without a braking system, both of these factors lead to the formation of beards and line lashing. Therefore, all types of multiplier reels are equipped with a mechanical brake.
- Setting up the brake system is very simple. It is enough to position the rod horizontally and release the bait. By adjusting the mechanism, you should achieve the maximum speed of the bait take-off without tangling the fishing line.
- Centrifugal (magnetic) is adjusted directly to the weight of the bait. Its use allows you to compare the speed of winding the fishing line with the speed of the flight of the bait. In other words, the spool rotates at the speed necessary for a comfortable flight of the bait. A magnetic brake is a set of small magnets mounted in a coil. The braking force is linearly dependent on the speed of rotation of the spool. In a centrifugal brake, this effect is achieved by the friction of special weights on the sleeve.
For beginner anglers, the use of multiplier reels can cause a number of inconveniences. It is the fine-tuning of the brake systems with each change of nozzle that most often delivers the greatest discomfort. At the same time, by the nature of the formation of beards, it is not difficult to guess about an incorrectly tuned brake system.
Experienced anglers completely loosen the brake systems. They use their thumb to adjust the speed.
Remember that after several flights of the lure, the contacting elements heat up. The friction force decreases accordingly. Therefore, it is better to tighten the brake slightly.
Most models of multiplier reels are equipped with a line stacker. This slider makes translational movements parallel to the spool and allows you to evenly distribute the main line along its entire length.
On the one hand, using it will extend the life of your cord. On the other hand, the casting is an order of magnitude shorter. Therefore, professionals prefer not to use it.
Multiplier Reel Classification
Today reels are produced with left-hand and right-hand execution. There is no fundamental difference between them. But for more comfortable fishing, it is recommended to have rods equipped with different types. Such fishing will make it possible to evenly redistribute the load on both hands.
Baycasting reels have received the greatest use among domestic fishermen. They are designed for fishing with light and medium-weight baits. They got their name from the merger of two English words Bait (bait) and Cast (cast).
In appearance, they are usually divided into low-profile (soap dishes) and classic (barrels).
In the first, the line laying is located in front. The side of the spool fits snugly against the body of the reel. This option is most suitable for the use of braids of small diameters. They got their name because of their streamlined body. As a rule, such reels are equipped with magnetic brakes.
Among the advantages it is worth highlighting:
- The farthest casting than barrel-shaped;
- The weight of such a coil does not exceed 200 grams;
- The working weight of the bait starts from one gram.
For fishing in strong currents or for stronger predators, it is worth taking a closer look at the multipliers of the classic form. They will allow you to use more reliable tackle. It should be noted that an inertialess reel similar in parameters (or as the meat grinder is popularly called) will weigh two or three times more.
These two previous options are used for spinning casting.
When power fishing, special multipliers are used.
Trolling reels are used to catch large fish from the boat. Most often they are used in sea fishing. Such varieties are often equipped with a bait depth counter. It allows you to instantly set the required depth when recasting.
Mention should also be made of multipliers for plumb fishing. They are most widely used in Japan.
Multiplier Reel Selection Tips
If you still decide to purchase a multiplier reel, then first of all take a closer look at the models of well-known manufacturers. Samples from Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Shimano, and Banax have proven themselves well.
In the line of products they produce, you can find both budget and expensive options.
Each manufacturer equips its products with patented features and additional nodes that increase the comfort of fishing. These include various instant spool release levers, improvements to magnetic braking systems, unwind counters, and much more.
In particular, when choosing, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Lack of backlash and distortions;
- Smooth running;
- Debugged braking system.
In general, the choice of the multiplier should be carried out in conjunction with the rest of the gear. It is necessary to clearly represent the type of rod, the diameter of the fishing line, and the weight of the lures for each specific model. The use of a braided line will require the presence of special ceramic inserts on the line guide.
Some anglers are looking to upgrade to cheaper reels. Such tuning is aimed at increasing the flight of the lure and reducing the total weight of the reel. The first is achieved by replacing standard bearings with ceramic ones. In the second option, additional holes are drilled in the spool itself.
Before choosing a particular model, you should study all the necessary information about it. Various reviews on the Internet will help you with this. It is worth talking with the owners of this model on thematic forums. So you can find out all its positive and negative features.
Multiplier Reel Care and Maintenance
After buying a multiplier reel for spinning, it is necessary to carry out a number of preparatory works. The fact is that all drive mechanisms at manufacturers are abundantly lubricated for better storage. Liquid and thicker lubricant is used for various elements of the mechanism.
Before the first use, a number of necessary operations should be carried out:
- Loosen the screws holding the spool.
- Remove the spool and look for bearings on it.
- Wipe the surface of the bearings with a soft cloth dampened with kerosene.
- Repeat the previous operation with all contacting parts during rotation.
- When using a soap dish, be sure to remove excess grease from the magnets.
- After each fishing, the worm gear and the line layer should be inspected for the presence of sand. Fine abrasive contributes to the rapid wear of the elements of the mechanism.
- For lubrication, it is better to use special branded compounds.
Experienced anglers are advised to periodically loosen the clutch after fishing. The fact is that it consists of a set of fluoroplastic plates. Fluoroplast has a certain memory. In a constantly tightened form, it loses the properties necessary for functioning.
Multiplier Reel Summing up
Let’s highlight the strengths and weaknesses of multiplier products:
- Due to the upper location of the coil, the tackle is more sensitive to bites, but at the same time more inconvenient;
- Allows you to use super-heavy tackle and bait;
- Relatively high price of branded products;
- It is necessary to have a rod with a certain arrangement of rings;
- High power with small size;
- Accuracy and casting distance does not depend on the diameter of the main cord;
- Constant detailed adjustment of the brake system is required.
Meanwhile, there has long been a debate about which coil is better – multiplier or inertialess. The answer to this question lies not in listing the distinctive characteristics of
each model. Rather, there is a more sacramental meaning here.
By choosing a spinning reel model, you are choosing an easy-to-use model with an average cost.
In the case of using a multiplier, you will find many hours spent studying various manuals for the device and correctly setting up the mechanism. But what at first glance scares off inexperienced fishermen is a storehouse for true connoisseurs.
In summary, a multiplier reel, also known as a baitcasting reel, is a type of fishing reel that is commonly used for big game fishing and saltwater fishing. It consists of a spool, handle, and brake system, which works together to control the speed of the spool and retrieve the line.
The brake system allows the angler to control the speed of the spool when casting, preventing the line from tangling.
The handle is used to retrieve the line. This type of reel is very useful for specific scenarios, such as big game fishing or saltwater fishing, where accuracy, power, and ease of use are crucial. It is also a popular choice among experienced anglers.
When choosing a multiplier reel, it is important to consider the gear ratio, drag system, and line capacity. With the knowledge of how a multiplier reel works, an angler can use it to its full potential, making the fishing experience more effective and enjoyable.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a commission for purchases made through links.