Trout fishing is a popular pastime for anglers of all levels, and for good reason. These elusive fish are known for their beauty, fighting spirit, and delicious taste.
In this blog, we’ll explore the different species of trout, their unique characteristics, and the most effective methods for catching them. Whether you prefer the elegance of fly fishing, the simplicity of spin fishing, or the versatility of bait fishing, we’ve got you covered with our expert tips and advice.
So grab your gear and get ready to reel in some trout!
Success in trout fishing goes through three requirements:
- Absolute discretion when moving along the coast. It is desirable to avoid stamping of feet, falling of stones, gestures, wearing well-visible clothes;
- The skill to use more fishing techniques to be able to adapt to changing feeding habits of fish;
- Good knowledge of the places throughout the season. They change as a function of changes in water level, temperature and the availability of a particular type of food.
Of all the fish species in our freshwater bodies, trout is without a doubt one of the most sought-after fish by most anglers. The fact that it is found in most of the reservoirs allows it to be an object placed in the first place in the gradation of fishing passion, namely:
Its prestige, due to its high culinary value; it’s catching without difficulty fuels the fisherman’s passion in the search for safe techniques for her fishing. Last but not least is the trout’s demand of the reservoirs it inhabits, in other words – the wild beauty of the landscapes where trout fishing is practiced.
Trout Description – general features
The body is rocket-shaped, drawn, perfectly adapted to fast waters, and covered with spots (100-125 on the sideline). The head is massive, the mouth is wide with numerous and sharp small teeth. The tail fin is powerful and with straight lines. It should be noted the presence of a small greasy fin, characteristic (but not specific) for the salmon family, between the tail fin and the tail fin. For most fishermen in our country, only two are known species of trout: wild – “Balkan” and domestic – “American” and “rainbow”. There are several species of trout: river, lake, sea, and gray.
Trout Specific features
- River trout – the color of this species of trout varies depending on the places it inhabits. Certain features of the species are more or less hereditary, others are the result of surprising mimeticism: dark trout from small streams flowing on granite beds or trout, almost silvered by open rivers with sandy bottoms. The back and sides are sprinkled with numerous black dots and ruby-colored spots. The size and weight vary depending on the richness of the place; one river trout in the limestone plain can reach 3 kg. , in exceptional cases 7-8 kg., while a river trout from a small stream can not exceed 20-25 cm.
- Lake trout – silver color, strewn with black dots. In some large lakes, rich in fish – feed, trout can exceed 10 kg.
Sea trout – exactly the same color as the lake trout, with which it has many similarities. The size of sea trout varies between 30-40 cm for small specimens, and 1m. and weight 10 kg. for the big ones.
- Rainbow trout – compared to river trout, the body is more massive and the head a little smaller. Her back is green, with a slight blue tinge, the sides are light with an arcuate stripe along the entire length. Numerous small black dots on the back. , sides, also on the fins of the back and tail. The average size of a rainbow trout is 30 cm, but can reach up to 80 cm weighing 6-7 kg.
- Gray Сивен – in body shape resembles river and rainbow trout. Its color is very colorful, which is why it is considered to be the most beautiful among trout. The back is olive green with dark tiger stripes and spots. The sides are purple, sprinkled with orange or pink spots, and below them there is a reddish longitudinal stripe. The abdomen is yellow-silvery-white. The dorsal, ventral and anal fins have a white edging on them. Reaches a length of 30-40 cm and 1 kg. weight at the age of five. In America it reaches a relatively greater length and weight up to 7 kg.
Each species of trout inhabits a body of water that meets its specific requirements. As far as river trout are concerned, the presence of a large amount of oxygen below the surface of the water is essential. Some studies in this direction prove that the oxygen content should not be below 9.5 mg / l (or 7 cc / liter), as a result of which the trout dies. Oxygen content is directly related to other components and characteristics of water. The content is higher in turbulent rivers and streams with rapids and waterfalls, and there is a more pronounced air-water exchange than in calm waters, where it weakens when the temperature and pollutants increase. That is why trout live in cold, clean and lush waters. These indicators are typical of alpine rivers and streams at the foot of the mountains, where temperatures rarely exceed 18 degrees, but also in reservoirs such as Dospat Dam, for example, where there is no fast water and temperatures sometimes exceed 18 degrees, but the presence of oxygen in the water is compensated by the algae, which on the basis of photosynthesis produce the necessary amount for the existence of the trout.
Trout Eating behavior
Once in the feeding period and taking a hunting position, the trout reveals a strong territorial behavior that causes it to attack everything that has entered its territory. This behavior occurs very early in trout, practically after swallowing the gallbladder. The opposite is observed in the dormant period, the above-mentioned behavior disappears and most of the fish regardless of their size can easily coexist in a very limited area. proves the effectiveness of any bait. Very greedy and with carnivorous tendencies, trout do not have the slightest elective diet, which allows it to take advantage of all food sources available in the pond: worms, larvae, flies, aquatic and terrestrial insects, all species of small and small fish of other species… including small trout. To the long list, we must also add plant-based food. The periods of bulimia (insatiable hunger) are followed by long days of abstinence and moderation or moments when the trout is presented as very precise when choosing food.
It is often mentioned, spoken, and written that the trout is cunning and in practice its fishing is difficult. It can be argued that this is not the case. That it is a very timid fish, constantly ambushed in its hunting grounds and always ready to flee at the slightest sign of foreign presence, all anglers must have noticed. But it cannot be said that it is really difficult to be deceived. Some white fish in running water is sometimes less naive than them with their behavior. One exception, by the way: in places where fishing is active, trout learn to distinguish between different types of bait and larger specimens become elusive except during short periods of a food craze. fish by sectors in the reservoir. The best places and shelters are always occupied by the largest trout, the rest by the smaller ones, but always by size. As a fast water fish, the trout always holds its head against the current, except when there is a counter-current, where it is precisely positioned with its head in the direction of the current.
Trout Choice of location
Fishing spots are more or less difficult to locate depending on the type of reservoir (it is much easier near the fast flow, where they are well marked, as opposed to a larger river); in another case, the places can be located in many different places, but always meet the exact conditions and requirements:
- The availability of enough food brought by the current;
- The ability of fish to stay in position without the need to put much effort into fighting the current;
- Proximity to a place of rest and remoteness on steep shores.
Trout fishing with natural bait
This is the most popular method of fishing, known and accepted as the basis of trout fishing, requiring knowledge of the feeding rate and location of the fish throughout the year. A fisherman who practices with natural bait, who has reached the level of a good catch, regardless of the circumstances and the season (and this – live bait allows it), can very quickly become a good specialist in fishing with artificial bait and fly with a line.
On the senses
This technique, as the name suggests, is related to the sensitivity of the angler who holds the fiber in his fingers, allows the natural bait to reach the bottom, is applicable at the beginning of the season and every time the water is higher and cloudy.
Small fish fishing
Very often forgotten by trout fishermen, this technique is remarkably effective, and in some cases, and in some cases the only way to catch large predatory trout. The best small fish for this purpose are the alder (but it is not always possible to provide them ). The little meek, like the carrageenan and the little squirrel, can be of use to us.
- Techniques: Depending on the fishing conditions, there are numerous opportunities to catch trout for small fish.
- Floating expectation: the rod can be left on the ground for a while so that the small fish can adapt, but it is best to hold it in your hand and imitate the movements of the fish. Moving the line forward and sideways.
- Traction expectation: allows checking all the classic positions of the river with a fast current. Same action as fishing for natural bait in spring waters.
Movable weight expectation: with this expectation, it is possible to reach exactly the desired place for casting, unattainable with other techniques (subsoils, notches on rocks…) as well as in deep pools. Throwing is done wide and retracting is done in jumps or movements with different amplitudes. In any case, let it hit well and then detect it.
In conclusion, trout fishing offers a rich and rewarding experience for anglers of all skill levels. With a little knowledge about the different species, their unique characteristics, and the best techniques and gear to use, you can increase your chances of a successful and enjoyable fishing trip. Whether you prefer fly fishing, spin fishing, or bait fishing, there are plenty of options to explore and master.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a commission for purchases made through links.