Fishing with boat: the secret of catchability, the principle of operation and how to do it DIY
Welcome to our guide on fishing with boat – the secret of catchability, the principle of operation, and how to do it yourself. Fishing from a boat can be a fun, convenient, and productive way to catch a variety of species, especially in larger bodies of water where shore-based fishing may be limited or impractical.
In this guide, we will be exploring the key factors that contribute to catchability when fishing from a boat, the principle of operation of different types of boats, and how to build and maintain your fishing boat.
Let's get started and learn about fishing with a boat – the secret of catchability, the principle of operation, and how to do it yourself!
The purpose of the boat and its advantages.
The main purpose of a fishing boat is to provide a platform from which anglers can access and fish in bodies of water that are too deep, wide, or otherwise inaccessible from the shore. This can include rivers, lakes, estuaries, bays, and the open ocean, depending on the size and capabilities of the boat.
Fishing boats come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and designs, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Some boats are designed for specific types of fishing, such as fly fishing, trolling, or casting, while others are more versatile and can be used for a range of fishing methods.
The main advantages of fishing from a boat include:
- Greater mobility: A boat allows you to cover more water and access different areas and depths that may not be possible from the shore.
- Comfort and convenience: A boat provides a comfortable and sheltered platform from which to fish, with amenities such as seating, shade, and storage.
- Safety: A boat can offer a safer and more stable platform for fishing, especially in rough or choppy water or when fishing in deep water.
- Productivity: Depending on the type of boat and fishing method, it may be possible to catch more fish from a boat than from the shore.
Overall, the purpose of a fishing boat is to provide a means of accessing and fishing in a variety of waters, with the main advantages being greater mobility, comfort and convenience, safety, and potentially increased productivity.
The main task of the boat is to deliver a bait to the place of fishing.
Among the advantages of its use are:
- Cross-country ability and high control radius (up to 500m);
- If there is an echo sounder on the boat, it is possible to control what is happening on the site;
- Can work up to 2 hours, which allows you to examine all parts of the reservoir;
- Can take on board sufficient cargo: the maximum load weight varies from 1.5 to 5 kg.
This device is very convenient to use in reservoirs with a large number of impassable places or where it is forbidden to fish by boat.
Who and what are they catching?
[caption id="attachment_3063" align="aligncenter" width="300"] fishing bait boat[/caption]
Depending on the type of fish, the baits that the boat is equipped with are also used, these can be:
- Bread crust;
- Floating boilie;
- Artificial fly fishing fly;
- Live insect;
- Live bait;
How to make a fishing bait boat
This Fishing with boat device is characterized by several names, but basically, it is called "water kite", and also traditionally "boat" and this name is much more suitable. The tackle is made from any material that has positive buoyancy. Basically, it is wood or foam. It is desirable that the structure has a certain weight, otherwise, it will not be stable on the water, especially in the presence of wind and unrest. Drawings of such gear can be easily found on the Internet.
At the same time, you should not try to repeat the first drawing that comes across. It's best to start by reading the reviews.
The simplest boat
To make a simple tackle, you must have:
- A pair of boards of arbitrary length, up to 15 mm thick.
- Drying oil.
- Waterproof paint (oil), soft shade.
- A pair of M6 threaded studs and four nuts for these studs.
- A regular bracket with an M4 nut and a screw to secure the structure and the main line.
- Lead cargo.
- Nails or screws for fastening.
- Glue (water resistant).
- Drills of the appropriate diameter.
If all the components are prepared, then you can proceed to the assembly of the structure itself.
The order is as follows:
- Finished boards are covered with drying oil, dried and covered with soft oil paint. The tackle should remain visible at a distance, but not scare away the fish.
- Elements similar to trapezoids are cut out of wooden planks. On the side faces there should be oblique cuts. In this case, it is better to first prepare the boards of the desired shape, and then open them with drying oil and paint.
- Holes are drilled in wooden blanks for their fastening.
- Two blanks are connected using studs with nuts.
- After that, the bracket is attached. Holes for its fastening should be made on both sides so that you can rearrange the bracket, if necessary, since you have to fish both on the left and on the right. The bracket is attached to the side where the water flows. This allows you to launch the "boat" in any direction of the current.
- Finally, a lead weight is attached to the bottom of the structure with glue. The load will make the structure more stable.
DIY reversible boat
In the process of using the “boat”, experienced anglers had an interesting idea, which led to an improvement in the design of the gear. The improved boat consists of:
- From the leading board.
- From the main float.
- From leaf springs.
- From a special switching device and a limiting element.
- From a towing line.
- From flies.
The springs included in the design serve as a kind of shock absorber, which smooths out the strong jerks of the fish at the time of bites. The float is included in the design of the reverse mechanism, and also gives the whole structure more stability. The safety bracket does not allow the fishing line to overlap with the controls. The switching device is designed to change the direction of movement of the "boat".
[caption id="attachment_2051" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Fishing with boat Manufacturing steps[/caption]
- For the construction of fishing tackle, well-dried wood should be taken. To give the structure a small lifting force, it is given the desired shape.
- To prevent the structure from floating to the surface of the water, a redan is attached to the lower end of the board.
- The wooden base is impregnated with drying oil and painted with waterproof oil paint. The underwater part is painted blue, and the surface part is white.
- A hole with a diameter of 8 mm is drilled in the middle of the board, for attaching a lead load.
- In the upper end part of the board, between the springs, a cork strip is attached, where the flies are supposed to be stored.
- The spring is made of stainless steel strips, 0.8 mm thick, 10 mm wide and 320 mm long.
- The float is made from foam. It, along with the switch and springs, is attached to a wooden base.
- A strip of stainless steel is taken and a switch is made from it. Strip thickness 1 mm.
- The safety bracket is made of copper wire, 2 mm thick.
Springs made of stainless steel plates are bent so that the switch rises above the waterline to the height of the underwater part of the float.
Such gear is able to move both in the direction from the coast, and vice versa. This allows you to control the movements of the tackle. As a rule, a simple design is always located at one point.
An improved method for manufacturing a reversible boat
Anglers who use a water kite in practice to catch fish have noticed the inconvenience associated with returning or, more correctly, playing a trophy with tackle. Pulling up required certain efforts and constant control of the tension of the cord with simultaneous winding, which obviously did not bring comfort to catching. These inconveniences are especially noticeable when hunting at long distances, over 100 meters or more, on rivers with a moderate current, and at rapids, where the water jets are even stronger.
The inquisitive mind and ingenuity of the fisherman gave rise to the design of reversible boats, which, with certain manipulations with the control, change the trajectory of movement to the opposite. This, brings the line to the shore, by influencing the direction of the vessel's movement of the same water current, but already without the mode of the discomfort of winding the line in emergency mode with uncontrolled hauling of the trophy.
The possibility of reversing gives additional placement of a metal bracket with a ring, which is attached to the outside of a small can of a swimming facility. In contrast to the simple way of adjusting the stroke, where the thread is fastened to a stationary hook, in the reverse version, the cord is knitted to a movable ring.
At the time of launching the boat for a distance, the tension ring occupies a certain position, diverting the product from the shore. If, after catching a fish or checking the bait, the cord is given slack, and then a sharp stretch, the ring location spontaneously jumps to the opposite part of the bracket.
After changing the position of the fastener, the trajectory of movement is also changed, returning the vessel in the opposite direction. The bracket is the most primitive way of organizing the reverse movement. Fishermen have also developed more complex mechanisms for changing the trajectories of the course, which are based on the forces of displacement of attachment points and require additional materials, tools, and sketches for the production, which is already within the power of experienced mechanics and locksmiths.
Regardless of the modification chosen, the fishing boat must demonstrate excellent buoyancy. Based on the intensity of the flow in a particular place of the structure, it is necessary to give a special geometry.
As already mentioned, a home-made mechanism works like a “kite”, only the driving factor is not air, but the effect of water. The use of such a device allows the angler to deliver the bait to the right place, luring prey far from the shore. The main requirement is the presence of a current or a strong wave that will move the product to the selected point.
If you want to fish with a boat, you must prepare in advance a powerful spinning blank with a test load of 100 to 200 g. In some cases, trophy prey must be dragged not with tackle, but with your hands.
In such conditions, the presence of a good old inertial coil with an open drum will not hurt. The "Neva" model is used, accommodating a large amount of fishing line on its drum.
The principle of operation of the boat for fishing
The principle of operation of a fishing boat is to provide a platform from which anglers can access and fish in bodies of water that are too deep, wide, or otherwise inaccessible from the shore. Fishing boats come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and designs, each with its own specific features and capabilities. However, all fishing boats operate on the same basic principle of using a propulsion system to move through the water and a steering system to control the direction of travel.
The propulsion system of a fishing boat typically consists of a motor and a propeller, which work together to generate thrust and move the boat through the water. The type of motor and propeller used will depend on the size and purpose of the boat. Outboard motors are commonly used on smaller boats, while inboard motors or jet drives are used on larger boats.
The steering system of a fishing boat allows the operator to control the direction of travel and maintain a steady course. Most fishing boats use a rudder or skeg to steer, which is controlled by a steering wheel or handle. Some boats also use a trolling motor or electric motor for precise control and maneuverability in shallow or confined areas.
[caption id="attachment_2052" align="aligncenter" width="300"] The principle of operation of the boat for fishing[/caption]
"Ship" must have positive buoyancy. Given the fact that there is a flow, the geometry of the device must have special shapes.
The action of the "ship" is similar to the action of the "kite". The only difference is that such gear is driven not by air, but by water. Thanks to this principle of action, the bait is always in the right place. "Ship" can only be used in the presence of a current or a strong wave that can move the tackle to the right place.
The principle of operation of the boat for the delivery of bait
The bait boat is a radio-controlled device in the form of a children's toy. The distance of the boat from the control panel, depending on the model, can be up to 5000 meters. Before launching the device on the water, it is necessary to activate the echo sounder and navigator.
The principle of operation of the boat for the delivery of bait is simple, like everything ingenious:
- a fisherman sets a boat with food and everything necessary on the water and controls the movement of the boat with a radio-controlled remote control;
- with the help of an echo sounder built into the boat (if it is equipped with it), a search for fish is carried out;
- in the right place, when you press the button, the bottom cover of the loaded container opens;
- the contents of the bunker are poured out at a certain point in the reservoir, which is remembered in the memory of the boat; for bait fish, you can feed in portions;
- by pressing the "back" button, the cutter returns to the starting point to load the bait;
- by pressing a button on the remote control, the boat returns to the point with the bait to unload the bait.
Types of bait boats
The industry produces various bait boats, but experienced fishermen prefer the newfangled auxiliary device in the form of a small vehicle. Depending on the model, boats can be equipped with: an echo sounder, a GPS navigator, one or more loading bins, an additional set of batteries and batteries, a special packing backpack, and other types of equipment.
[caption id="attachment_3062" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Fishing Bait Boat[/caption]
Some of the most common types of bait boats include:
Carp bait boats:
Carp bait boats are designed specifically for carp fishing and are typically larger and more sophisticated than other types of bait boats. They often have a hopper and auger system for delivering bait to specific locations in the water, as well as features such as GPS, sonar, and remote control.
Plastic bait boats:
Plastic bait boats are lightweight and affordable, making them a popular choice for anglers who are on a budget. They are simple in design and typically have a manual bait release lever or a gravity-fed system for delivering bait to the water.
Fiberglass bait boats:
Fiberglass bait boats are more durable and have a higher capacity than plastic bait boats, making them a good choice for anglers who need to carry more bait or tackle. They may have more advanced features such as a hopper and auger system or GPS.
Radio-controlled bait boats:
Radio-controlled bait boats are operated using a remote control and are capable of traveling long distances and delivering bait to specific locations in the water. They are often larger and more expensive than other types of bait boats.
Smartphone-controlled bait boats:
Smartphone-controlled bait boats are operated using a smartphone or tablet and are becoming increasingly popular due to their convenience and ease of use. They may have features such as live video feed, GPS, and sonar.
For the correct use and extension of the life of a small boat, you must follow a few simple rules.
- Do not load the boat more than the mass specified in the technical specifications. The boat may sink a little, and water will enter the engine, which will subsequently malfunction.
- If the boat does not have a backup battery, you should carefully monitor the operating time of the boat, otherwise it may remain in the middle of the reservoir.
- It is advisable for catamaran-type ships to bypass places with abundant underwater vegetation, algae can wrap around the blades and make it difficult to move.
- It is not recommended to use the boat at night if there are no indicators on it - there is a high probability of losing it.
- A homemade boat with epoxy resin on the bottom must be periodically inspected for leaks and, if found, fill them in a timely manner.
- Change the batteries in the remote control regularly, if the batteries are already weak, it may be difficult to control the boat at the distance specified in the specifications.
Carrying out preparatory work
The use of the "boat" involves the use of a fairly powerful spinning, with a test of 100 to 200 grams. There are times when the fish have to be pulled out not by spinning, but by hand.
For such fishing conditions, it is possible to use an inertial reel, still of Soviet times with an open drum. As a rule, anglers use the "Neva" reel with a drum, which can hold a lot of fishing lines.
As the main fishing line, any strong fishing line of the appropriate diameter will do. The thickness of the fishing line has no effect on the effectiveness of fishing. The diameter of the fishing line for leashes is selected depending on the size of the intended prey. For normal fishing conditions, it is enough to have leashes with a thickness of 0.12-0.15 mm. If it is planned to catch individuals weighing up to 0.5 kg, then it is better to choose a fishing line with a thickness of 0.18-0.2 mm.
Such tackle shows good results in three cases.
Fishing in moderate rivers
Such rivers are caught along the course in places with bushes and trees hanging over the water. For the most part, the ide and chubs standing near the shore become a trophy. The lures are launched in a free swim, with alternations of tapping the bait on the water as a result of the cyclic holding of the tackle.
Leashes are set 2 meters long, equipping with small numbers of doubles with a grasshopper, dragonfly or cockchafer. Bites are sharp, almost never idle.
The use of a boat on wide rapids
Rapids are fished in places where it is difficult to go far into the water for accurate feeding of bait to certain promising points of fish parking. The method is great for hunting graylings. As bait, artificial fly fishing flies are used, which are tossed in the water column with intense and short spinning movements. The equipment of the boat is made with three leashes without sheds up to 3 meters long.
Fishing on rivers with slow flow and dense vegetation As a rule, pike prefers to be in dense thickets of coastal vegetation. In this case, the pike is difficult to take both from the shore and from the boat. And here, again, the “boat” can come to the rescue.
In conclusion, fishing with a boat provides many benefits and opportunities for anglers, including access to a wider range of fishing locations, the ability to cover more water, and the ability to fish in deeper or wider bodies of water.
The principle of operation of a fishing boat involves using a propulsion system to move through the water and a steering system to control the direction of travel. There are several types of bait boats available, each with its own specific features and capabilities, and the best choice will depend on your specific fishing needs and preferences.
If you are interested in fishing with a boat, it is important to familiarize yourself with the proper operation and safety guidelines, as well as the laws and regulations in your area. With the right equipment and knowledge, fishing with a boat can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience.